Law Offices of Michael T. Nolan, Jr.

Experience — Integrity — Results

What cases require a court appearance?

If you live in New Jersey and have been arrested or even received a traffic violation you will want to have an understanding of how the court system works. The New Jersey Courts explains that serious criminal matters are handled or heard in Superior Court. Other less severe offenses are handled or heard in Municipal Court.

Municipal Court cases are classified as either petty disorderly persons violations or disorderly persons offenses. If you are convicted of a petty disorderly persons violation, you may be required to spend up to 30 days in a county jail. If you are convicted of a disorderly persons offense, you may be required to spend up to 60 days in a county jail.

You do not need to appear in court for every type of offense. Every municipality has a list called a violations bureau schedule that identifies offenses for which court is not required. The state also has such a list. For offenses on these lists, you can simply pay the required fine without needing to appear in court. You may be required to go to court if the charge you are facing is not on these lists.

If you do need to go to court and you do not yet have a lawyer, your court date appearance may be postponed and rescheduled so that you can find an attorney to represent you. If you would like to better understand the misdemeanor or felony court process, please feel free to visit our New Jersey criminal defense web page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
| Email Us For A Response

Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Michael T. Nolan, Jr.
514 Brick Boulevard, Suite 6
Brick, NJ 08723

Toll Free: 888-415-7141
Phone: 732-965-3342
Fax: 732-477-0492
Map & Directions